On Saturday, the sun was shining for a change. I don’t remember a time of having days of rain and rain and rain in a long time.
Since the day was predicted to be nice on Friday, I stopped and picked up some plants to start my outside renovations.
I started early Saturday morning with my brick sidewalk which is totally overgrown with weeds and some sort of spindly, vine-type stuff coming through each and every space. I worked on this for about an hour and soon realized that this was a fruitless endeavor. I tried the vinegar-salt-dish detergent combo weed killer–poured this on, went in the house, puttered around and waited for this to work.
It worked…..the weeds were dried up, but they still needed pulled. I began again….pulling these out from in between tiny spaces in the bricks.
As I’m pulling, I’m thinking to myself how I really wanted to do the area for the plants I had gotten….how long is this going to take….and other thoughts that have no business being in my head. Frustration was looming, it was becoming a little too warm for my taste, and I wasn’t going to accomplish what I set out to do.
As I’m thinking, muttering to myself, and all the while liking the brick sidewalk but wishing it weren’t there, a truck pulls in my driveway!! These are two young friends of all 3 of my children……just ‘showed up’ to help!! THANK YOU!!
So, we now have some before and after pictures. These areas are not completed. They’re not ‘mature’, and still need some additional ‘fillers’ (hopefully next weekend).
We actually took all of the bricks out of place, then cleaned up the weeds, placed a layer of sand, turned the bricks up on their sides to make a narrower, more fresh walkway, then finished off with more leveling sand in between the bricks…..still need a little more of this sand to fill in some more.
A few perrenials….some fountain grass which is in the corner, a couple of dwarf evergreens….made all the difference in the world!
Next, we tackled the corner spot at the end of my driveway:
This is a totally shady area, surrounded by trees in the back. Three different varieties of hosta, an astilbe, and some purple coral bells make all the difference in the world!
As I said, this project is not complete yet. But, I wanted to show you some pictures of the progress made.
For the back area with the hosta, I’m going to add in some impatiens or begonias (since they love the shade also) for a pop of color. Also, there will be variegated dogwood shrub in the back corner which I couldn’t find on Friday but have since.
A hard day’s work…all accomplished with help of two friends who just ‘showed up’ when they were needed. We were dirty, sweaty, tired, muscles aching, but a good feeling of a sense of accomplishment!